Jobs at Pathfinder
Interested in joining the Pathfinder staff? We are always looking for dynamic, passionate people to be part of our community as Part-time Facilitators.
Outdoor/Environmental Education Facilitator
Reports To: Field Director
- Pathfinder provides one, two or three day outdoor adventure programs to youth and adult groups in a camp setting.
- Programs are a combination of low and high challenge course, outdoor skills and environmental education, primarily for school students in grades 4-12.
- Groups range in size from 10-140.
- A typical participant day is a series of classes, either 90 minutes or three hours in length. A typical staff day is 8:30am-9:30pm with breaks and meals.
- Instructional ratios range from 1:8 to 1:25 but are typically 1:10. Staff facilitate solo or in teams depending on the activity.
Qualifications, technical and content-oriented skills:
- Facilitate outdoor living skills (LNT,fire-building,shelter construction, weather safety, canoeing, night hikes, orienteering, etc.) Training in specific curriculum provided.
- Facilitate environmental programs with an emphasis on Florida ecology and conservation issues. Training in specific curriculum provided.
- Facilitate High and Low Challenge Course and team-building activities.
Qualifications, interpersonal skills:
- Minimum 6 months or 2 summer's experience working with groups of youth in a camp or educational setting.
- Have “presence” and experientially engage groups of 10-20 youth.
- Facilitate group discussions which result in interpersonal skill-building and goal-setting.
- Assess learner needs and follow/modify lesson plans accordingly.
- Role model healthy and empowered decision making skills. Demonstrate compassion, patience, and sensitivity to population served.
- Punctuality and dependability.
- Quickly build rapport with participant sof various backgrounds and ages.
- Proactive team player; flexible; sense of humor.
- Reliable transportation to our partner sites.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 40 lbs. Ability to work full and active days outside.
- Internet accessand ability to communicate regularly by phone and email.
- Minimum 20 years of age. If employed, background check will include fingerprinting and criminal history.
- Degree in outdoor education, environmental education or related field a plus
Training, work schedule and start dates:
- Employment is mostly seasonal (August –May).
- Must be available to start the season by mid-August.
- Work week averages 20-30hours over 2-3 days.
- Some evenings and weekends required.
- Staff stay in lodging separate from participants when they stay overnight. Meals are typically provided.
- First Aid, CPR/AED, Lifeguard, Facilitation, Challenge Course and Tree Climbing training provided in the fall, with other trainings provided throughout the year and on an as-needed basis.
- Review our website.
- Complete the Pathfinder Employment Application (Download here) and return with resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications may be emailed, faxed or mailed.
- Interview and, if local, observe.
Compensation Range: $10.00-$15.00 per hour depending on experience and educational background.
Sherry Bagley, Co-Executive Director/Field Director
Pathfinder Outdoor Education
1310 22ndAve. South
St. Petersburg, FL 33705
727-328-0300, ext. 224
Equal Opportunity Employer